Friday, February 28, 2014

Only One Way!

John 8:24 - "Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”

This is one of the most profoundly sad declarations of the Lord Jesus in the Gospels. His requirements have always been simple, yet not easy as those opposed to Him encountered. This was especially true for those steeped in the pride of life and self-determination. If we were able to interview the Pharisees that Jesus spoke with that day, I am certain they have mourned the tragic loss of their souls for nearly two thousand years.

Pharisees are still common today, yet not necessarily by that name. The root definition is "to become separate." The choice to not believe the Gospel is in itself a form of Phariseeism or separating oneself for selfish pursuits. However, when one becomes set apart for Jesus and believes in Him, then this verse juxtaposes hope and joy eternal rather than a somber warning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment